Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad!

We have been in Belize for 1 week and 1 day so far. The experience has had its ups and its downs for me. Mostly many "ups" though! I have experienced a little bit of home sickness lately and at the same time I'm loving Belize, I can't wait to see home again as well. It is a weird feeling.

But anyway, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite moments thus far in Belize and put some pics up for you to see as well!

One highlight I had was a few days into our trip when we went to visit the Lamanai Ruins and we got to climb to the top of the tallest Ruin in Belize! It felt like a big accomplishment for me and was also really fun!


 My next favorite thing was getting to visit the orphanage and get to hold, feed, and take care of lots of their little ones. They were really special people and humbled me to my core.


My next favorite thing was visiting the Belize Zoo. We saw so many animals I had never seen before, AND THEY WERE SO CLOSE TO US! Literally a big jungle cat walked right past me and the only thing separating us was a little fence! And there were howler monkeys above me being lazy in the trees right above my head and there was no net between us like there would be in an American zoo. It blew my mind, but in an awesome way to see these animals in their natural habitat and that I could also be a part of that. I love animals and being around them makes me happy!


My last favorite thing for this blog is our time spent at the Hidden Paradise school in the town of Duck Run 3. The kids we got to meet were just fantastic! They were so happy and all of them were just so smart. They were reading to me in English better then some American kids can read that I know of! One of my specials friends that I met while I was there was a little girl named Genesis. She was in the Infant 1 class, our equivalent of kindergarten, and she speaks mostly Spanish at this point. My Spanish is pretty much the equivalent of a 4 year old, so 5 year old Genesis and I had some good little conversations in her native tongue and it was fantastic. She was so cute and happy and was always ready to show me her craft she was working on which I would praise with words like "buen trabajo" or "bella" meaning good work or beautiful, which she really was! I really feel like I left a part of me back there in Duck Run with Genesis and the rest of the kids. It will always be one of my favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment