Saturday, January 21, 2012

Leaving Colombia San Pedro

This trip has been a whirl wind.  I feel like I have been in Belize forever but that I also just got here, if it possible to be overwhelmed with both of those feelings at the same time.  I know that the trip isn't over yet, but we are coming to the end of our time in the villages and preparing to head for a couple fun days on the island.  Both have their perks, but in all reality, I prefer to be with the people.  The relationships that I have rekindled with old friends and formed with new friends are what draws me into this country.  They are the reason I came back this January and hope to in the future.

Yesterday, was our last full day in a village.  We had class for much longer than any of us could have expected.  Our class was full of tense discussions regarding affirmative action.  Following class, Dr. Skon, Amelia, Sarah, Katie, and I went on about a 2 mile walk to "downtown" San Pedro Columbia.  During our stroll, we got to go into a couple local stores, meet the most adorable puppy that followed Amelia and I, see an old church, and try some homemade yogurt made by a lady named Mary.  Last night, we played with the kids one last time.  I always hate the thought of leaving and saying goodbye.  Last year, when I left Succotz for Caye Caulker, I cried so hard, heart broken that I was leaving these people that I had learned to love. This year I'm leaving with a smile, not that I'm happy to leave (however, I will be happy to see my family next weekend) but because  I know that God has used this time in Belize to minister to me through the people of Belize and hopefully I have been able to do the same.










No comments:

Post a Comment