Wednesday, January 4, 2012

And so it begins!

My 25 day trip to Belize has officially begun, and it is coming with a lot of mixed emotions. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time as this is my first time in Central America, and so far my experience has definitely been a learning one. I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and cannot wait to see what God has in store for me.

Our journey started in Columbus. I'm very fortunate to be able to down here with my fiance, but that almost didn't happen as he did not have a ticket waiting for him when we first checked in! But of course, all was soon settled and we were on our way. A short stop in Dallas was our last destination before heading to Belize City. My arrival off the plane was met with warm air and a wonderful breeze, so needless to say Ohio was the last place I was yearning to be. After a crowded trip through customs, we met up with our host Dwight, and we were on our way to our first destination, Kindred Spirits Christian Camp which is located a little outside of Belmopan, the capital of Belize.

We stopped at the restaurant Cheers or our dinner where I had a chicken quesadilla, and it was the best food I'd had all day. Soon after, we arrived at KSCC.

We took on the task of taking our first shower here. I knew it was going to be one of the coldest showers I've ever taken, so I took the advice of my uncle and yelled the entire time. I must say, it definitely helped! It might also have been the shortest shower I have ever taken...

I'm also really enjoying the people who are here on this trip. I've spent most of my time with my fellow bunk mate Erika, who is also my apartment mate back on campus at MVNU, and with my fiance Mike. I love the relationships I am developing with the other students I don't know as well, and I hope that they continue to grow throughout the trip which I am sure they will.

I've very much enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere here at Kindred Spirits. I know that we will soon be leaving this particular area, but I love being in such a secluded area. It is lush and active with wildlife (we heard howler monkey's from our cabin) and I've definitely got my mosquito net and bug spray in hand. Living out of suitcase with no running hot water and sleeping in a bunk bed is a little out of my comfort zone, but I hope that God humbles me on this trip.

I look forward to having a fresh start tomorrow and anticipate all of the wonderful things I am going to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment